[CBQ] Clyde Yard

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Clyde Yard
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 20:37:54 EST
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1260409312; bh=scKJMfkz0ca3O3KKZ+IWg/7n+yx+cjdw+tHmISiV4AM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-SENDER:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=qufGY52bUX+j+c4+2PrkEKnIEiq054MLPpmQP2X2fmQHcFQ/F38jmLaH2+XIZDoorSpLe/EAYEeOxFggkymwRSElq+FE7pT9kD3FnIC/KUynubWGFHzd136OjPQhOaQr
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Jeff,

Its been 30 plus years since I sat and looked at the board at Clyde Rdhse
but I'm fairly certain that in the early 70s there were around 72 or 73
jobs/week in the entire Chicago terminal. I could be off but thats my  memory.
As to crowded keep in mind these guys were going on duty at  numerous
locations and there was an hour and 1/2 window of start times for each  shift
under the "rules". I seem to recall many of the transfers were not 8,4,12
start
times. Also the total # of jobs included the relief jobs that filled in on
the rest days.

What I distinctly remember was the huge drop to around 42-45 jobs after the
 1974/75 recession. Also recall thinking; now I understand why the company
wanted  to "top and bottom" the Aurora and Chicago seniority districts in
11/74. It was  right around this time that the first Cicero prior right  men
started  coming to Eola.

You are right about the slimming down everywhere. The carriers are moving
the tonnage but not switching and deliverying cars to industries. Everything
is  in a box thats trucked somewhere or a unit train.

Today I believe what was once the Aurora/Eola terminal is down to 2
engines/shift. There was a time when there were up to 8 and then extras  tossed
in
on top of that to handle the stock extras,etc.
Aurora,east and west yard,roustabout,Alley,Lyon,Armour or Nabisco,and even
a frt house job at one time.

Leo Phillipp

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com