RE: [CBQ] Clyde Yard

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Clyde Yard
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 18:01:06 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1259884871; bh=Tq86+xUumYOtfzSoMzDKiQH9X1tupv6sezCeC7sfBwM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=R8NUZbz9P5VUT/hZYoNEVvYm1vfmlh7jvHHrn/GNsQ297hbU5aMXZcJKK46C9qZ8UAmjtzAQXpu+7WKL5dfLLgOkE2TFyAZcXSZ3B1j74kUuJcL56yNI7/agwvxRhek3
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I believe you are referring to my late Uncle Ed (aka 'Smitty' or 'Red') Smith
of Downers Grove who passed away 2 yrs ago. He was night yardmaster @ Clyde for
YEARS (& when he had enough seniority to go on days, he decided nights was more
to his liking - less interference!)  He also had a stint as a Trainmaster but
chose to go back to the yards.  A Chicago native who started with the Q right
after WWII (he was a vet) and at retirement from BN was Sr yardmaster on the
entire system & one of the handful of former Q emps to still have some Q stock
which he finally converted to BN stock for a BIG profit.

I cannot speak as to what extent he created "situations" for foreign roads but
do know he did NOT tolerate anyone screwing up 'his' yard.  I suspect if
'cabooses' got buried its because a foreign crew did not do as he told them &
he made sure it did not happen again.  He had the utmost respect for Harry
Murphy for 'knowing' & caring about so many Q emps.

I always envied his son, my cousin Ed Jr, who got to work as a CUS Redcap every
summer (due to his Dad's connections) while attending Southern Illinois.  He
made good tips from celebrities who still rode Zephyrs in the late 60's.  All
that said Ed Jr. was never interested in RRing whereas I was so Ed Sr. gave me
his set of keys after he ret'd.

Gerald