[CBQ] Joint Hill Roads Meet

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Joint Hill Roads Meet
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:27:14 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1240867606; bh=MD3tTAjzan1aQvJNTLMrTAkhANh5QAueZEcpuubNXEQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Ly0WF2V3+qNdBJebe/CHEDT0/fo7Ujv8xjqWLartMqhd7MthcKafkEn84ZDKhkf5zuTu53s+igzdfLru18NRl81Wne12UpX6nAdTaTZpv7HK9KukfcrrXbt/bMLD7TYs
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Gerald-
There was, as I understand it, significant animosity between the GN / NP and
the CB&Q.   The NP people seemed to dominate the early BN merger and there
years of pent up resentment at being an owner of a railroad that was profitable
and supported the two owner roads came to a boil.
I base this on heresay mostly picked up at BRHS meets... I did not work for the
railroad and don't have any close friends that did and could pass on their
firsthand war stories.
Even if there was bad blood at some point that should not spill over to the
Historical Societies....  some of our commonly shared interests (NP flatcar
design, Economy Baggage Cars, Pendulm Car, 2-6-6-2, coal pusher tender, rolltop
tender design, not to mention the Twin Cities-Chicago leg of and partial
ownership of their flagship passenger trains) should make such a meet
worthwhile.   If we can do it with connecting roads it should make sense to do
it with the Hill Roads!
Charlie Vlk