RE: [CBQ] BRHS Vitality (Action Item)

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] BRHS Vitality (Action Item)
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 16:15:09 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1240694132; bh=IipIZDdshMUI4JApJM80I7RdH727N2fFZ1vJpc84bww=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=uLpNrb6Mfoffdduprp9++qedDuAUPfoArbvQuADNdlh6C2aCRS474JB+xAddGKfbjY87nNQWH+2YMjJP+4+jFKfHctZN4xExMgtvQmm3LrJCjbJ4pMAXg5KN746df2X4
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I don't ever recall significant animosity between the operating roads (a bit
between NP/GN as they paralleled & fought for some of the same traffic but not
like NYC vs. PRR) and never have seen animoisty between rank & file mbrs
(cannot speak for all the leaders).  The 3 RR's have been joined at the ankle,
hip or spine since 1901 and as you read old Ry Age mags you see other RR's
treated them as an eneitry esp. from the 1920's onward - 'the Hill roads'.  If
you are a NP fan, you are a fan of the NCL and the Mainstreeter and interested
in the traffic gateway @ Twin Cities; GN fans love the EPB & Western Star &
ditto for the connections and frt exchanges @ Twin Cities.  Since Q hauled the
aforementioned trains to & from Twin Cities to Chicago, owned equipment in the
consists and handled the bulk of the frt to & from the Pac NW, it's hard to be
a fan of anyone of the 3 and not need info on the Q or from our viewpoint, GN &
NP.  Then consider all the BN fans whose roots are GN, NP or Q and you have a
whole slew of modelers & collectors who overlap.  I have brochures marked for
Q/NP; Q/GN & Q/GN/NP; postcards marked Q/NP; not to mention all the TT's.
There was also the jointly owned snow plow, shared offices in major off-line
gateways, etc.  I truly believe if every rank & file GN, NP & Q fan were polled
about having their annual meet once every 5 yrs at same time/place as the other
2 with the much bigger attendance, clinics of joint interest, larger swap (and
a way for Q fans to unload excess EPB stuff & NP fans to acquire NCL from Q
fans, the model contests, etc),. the poll results would be near unanimous.

IF leaders took time to put in place guidelines to share or separate
revenues/expenses it's very doable.   It's a matter of saying 'hey lets make a
good effort to do so' vs. 'well, it probably won;t happen so don't try'.  And
the 39 year clock means the bulk of the mbrship of our respective groups is old
(it is!) and a lot of GN material in NP hands and Q material in GN hands, etc
could & should be sold/swapped.  I acquired some of my best Q items from an NP
fan who in turn got some great NP things from me - a BIG win-win.  It's not
unsual for serious fans of anyone of the 3 to end up with models & collectibles
of the other 2.

I think a more fitting comparison is several graduating class all from the same
school (in our case Jim Hill/Perkins & BN) have a joint reunion due to the many
overlaps.

Gerald