Re: [CBQ] Thoughts on the Ak Sar Ben Zephyr

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Thoughts on the Ak Sar Ben Zephyr
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:21:48 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1224256833; bh=SP2VHox3E72uRCJ6Z0/SPbIAaJLKA3ZGNidFwiT9wxY=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:References:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=vKlS2AEw/P+3QwokhUbtW2CCcXhcHSFttxizVOken2EOauH8BqXDHeEW5H5lrvOVICJKUAI5lH75Z03qAAEvxaMTQ1yBbLAGGQNrlP0aovfCgLr2NmpeiMtgjGFDCY2g
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Head End traffic would have been cut off at Council Bluffs
(Transfer)- or continued to Lincoln/Hastings (etc.)  In terms of
disturbing passengers, the CZ was regularly added to and had cars
dropped at Hastings & Denver after the Coloradoan trainoff.  As many
as 5 baggage cars would be added to the train at Hastings and dropped
at Denver - the Denver drop was somewhat easier as the cars just were
cut off with the power (as the power changed there from CB&Q to
D&RGW).  But Hastings was in the dead of night, and there was little
to tell that something was happening - usually.  Even when you were
looking for it, it was not always easy to tell when cars were removed
or added.  I remember being in Wyoming on the UP - in the domes,
watching them sort cars (they split the City of Everywhere to
LA/SF/Portland there).  When done right, there might be a slight
nudge, but nothing much.  I can tell you with certainty that trying
to stay upright on Amtrak today through Nebraska is a LOT more
difficult and disturbing than adding cars even into the '60s.  If
anyone remembers the trip from Chicago to Denver on the Q and took
the same trip today on Amtrak, you'd swear the same rail was being
used (after 10,000 plus coal trains took the route).  They don't dare
fill a water glass more than halfway.

The Ak-Sar-Ben Zephyr was made up of cars that would otherwise be
over-nighting in the yards in Chicago.  You'd find anything from CZ
dome obs, 10-6s and the 16 section/coaches to NP dome sleepers, and
NYC sleepers (and head end cars).  The NP cars were typically in
Chicago pending the next NCL leaving, and the Q made arrangements to
utilize cars during the night for the AZ run (similar to the
arrangements with the CZ pool).  The NYC cars were NOT through cars
(unless a special movement/tour).  They were merely available.  The
NYC at the time had a LOT of "extra" cars available, many would soon
be sold to Canadian or Mexican roads.  NYC pulled out of all
trans-con pools by Oct. 1958.  Coaches came from the pool.  Note that
some of this is era specific - and time of year-specific.  As with
any question on passenger train operations, you have to specific era
and season (and sometimes day) to get a good answer.   For instance,
some through cars were carried in the early years of the AZ - but the
above represents general information more than anything else.

I haven't seen any instances of cars being cut off at Galesburg - it
could have happened, but that wasn't typical (for the
AZ).  Burlington was one place cars were dropped - but for repair (or
company business).

The AZ should be held up as an example of what a resourceful road
could do.  Turning cars from Chicago to Lincoln and back from 6pm to
before 3pm on a consistent basis (consistent enough to make it
typical) was deemed undoable by other roads.  If you looked at
passenger loadings and car use, the Q would be like Southwest today
-  their numbers were always better than average, and usually increasing.