[CBQ] Thoughts on the Ak Sar Ben Zephyr

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Thoughts on the Ak Sar Ben Zephyr
From: Rick Keil <rkeil6721@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 17:15:26 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
As I develop my plan for my layout based roughly on Omaha/Council Bluffs, I
have some thoughts on the AkSarBen Zephyr.  I noticed in some of the consists,
head end cars would come from any number of eastern and western RRs.  Also,
sleepers from the NYC and NP seemed to show up regularly.  That got me
wondering...

Since Omaha (Council Bluffs) had the UP mail transfer, would most of the
foreign road head end cars end up there?  Or would some be cut off at
Galesburg?  It seems like most would make it to Omaha since I can't figure why
an L&N or NYC would stop at Galesburg (westbound).  Also, since the Ak had
sleepers, would they cut the headend cars off in Council Bluffs before crossing
to Omaha Union Station to drop passengers or cut them off in Omaha and transfer
them back accross.  I know extra movements cost money.

The sleepers have me more perplexed, why would NYC and NP sleepers be regular
haunts of the Ak.  I can't see that many folks from the east (NYC) wanting to
go to Omaha or Lincoln, not that they are bad places to visit!  Or would those
cars find their way onto other westbound trains to Denver?

Sorry for the meandering thoughts but as I dig into operations, I find this
train to be pretty fascinating.  It even had Flexivans in the consist (I've
seen them listed in other passenger trains too).

Rick Keil
Wichita, KS