Re: [CBQ] D&RGW PAs on the Zephyr

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com,<CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] D&RGW PAs on the Zephyr
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:44:46 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
There's more of us?  No wonder there's so much turmoil.

The D&RGW PAs were delivered via the CB&Q but I have never seen a
photo of the event.  If they would have worked west, they'd have
likely worked on the Expo, though I would think it just as likely as
on a freight.  I've not seen anything beyond the delivering
railroad.  How they were returned, I'm not sure.  The PBs of course,
weren't - until more recently.  The D&RGW PAs stayed *mostly* on the
Royal Gorge route after their initial runs on the Expo, Prospector
and then the CZ - for which they were bought.  It didn't take long
for the D&RGW to move them to other service, about the same amount
the Q took to change their originally assigned locomotives.

BTW, past, comments regarding the water tanks in the baggage cars for
the CZ reported them not serviced on the Q.  The WP *DID* service
them to the end  at Portola (according to a WP employee from
Portola).  Now, whether it was because of the relative size of the
water capacity in the respectively assigned locomotives, I don't
know.  But the tanks were filled at Portolla (same place the train
went through the washers).

The Freedom Train's route was an interesting one:
http://www.freedomtrain.org/html/ft_timeline.htm

If you look at the cities mentioned on either side of Burlington IA,
it would seem that it was from the south, leaving to the north:
St. Louis, Hannibal, Qunicey, Burlington, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids,
Des Moines, Davenport (notice the misspellings are from the web page).
  Which makes a certain amount of sense, if you are going to get the
most people to see something, you want to make a convoluted path
rather than a straight line.

 From Denver, it went to Colorado Springs, Trinidad, Amarillo,
Hutchinson, Wichita, Emporia, Topeka, Lawrence, Parsons, Joplin,
Springfield, (MO - have to put the state in for that one - there is
at least one Springfield in every state), KC, St. Joseph (Possibly on
the Q), Sedalia, Jefferson City, St. Louis, Hannibal, Qunicey,
Burlington, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Des Moines, Davenport, Rockford,
IL, Madison, La Crosse, Eau Claire, Wausau, Green Bay,  Oshkosh,
Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha - and finally Chicago.  Not exactly the
most direct route, but as I say, they wanted people to see it.

Sounds like a drunken bug was put on a map and they followed the
trail.  An excellent example of what you could do and go by passenger
train in 1948.  I wonder how many of those route miles are torn up now?

At 11:25 AM 9/18/2007, Charlie Vlk wrote:
>I would guess that the only PAs to make it onto CB&Q Chicagoland
>rails might have been EL transfer units (or maybe even pool power
>but I doubt it) and Santa Fe
>detour units.  I don't know if the original Freedom Train used the Q
>in Chicago on its tour.   The D&RGW units might have been delivered
>over the Q but I haven't seen
>any photos of them and I seriously doubt they ever worked into Chicago.
>Hol Wagner would be the most likely person to know in the BRHS
>community....or maybe one of the  Bob Webbers (the IRM one!).
>Charlie Vlk

Bob Webber