Re: [CBQ] Re: Broadway Ltd Cal Zephyr Cars @ Trainfest

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Broadway Ltd Cal Zephyr Cars @ Trainfest
From: <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 21:38:21 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Jerry,
I wish The failing eyesight was the only excuse I hear at the local hobby
shops. A lot of guys complain about how hard it is to build the kits or how the
parts break coming off the sprue. I know I should have said, " get an Optivisor
and some sharp blades, sprue cutters and a good watercolor brush for the glue,
woosie".
They should have it like their British cousins across the pond. I've built
their kits with horrible instructions no isometric drawings or hand drawn
illustrations at best. They assume that you are familiar with all the brake
components, hand grabs and lettering before you even consider tackling the kit.
The fit of the parts is pure Craftsman style. Lots of sanding and fitting with
no alignment pins or guides. British modeling makes resin kits seem easy. At
least I don't have to hunt down decals or history info.
The kits we've dreamed of for 30 and 40 years are finally here and some kid in
Asia gets the privilege of building it for us. What a hobby. What a shame. The
new kits are a complete joy to build and even with an occasional problem like
the URTX reefer sides to correct they are a hell of a lot better than the
Varney kits I built as a kid. Sincerely,
Rob Manley
Midwest Mod-U-Trak

"When building kits is a lost art,
Only lost artists will be building kits !!"