Re: [CBQ] Q Operations Question

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Q Operations Question
From: Russell Strodtz <19main@groundcontrol.us>
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 09:17:41 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Tom,

Would almost always be a new car. Would always be
on different waybills. If the Customer kept the car
they would have to pay demurrage on it. That would
be just money wasted.

The scenario you present is, even if a transit rate
was available, two separate moves as far as the RR
is concerned.

I'll try and cover "Transit" one more time. Will use
La Crosse Milling at Cochrane WI.

La Crosse Milling buys, what translates from bushels
to pounds as, 80,000 lbs of Oats on the Minneapolis
Grain Exchange. The Broker buys or has already agreed
to buy these Oats from a Elevator at South Shore SD.
This Elevator orders a car to cover this loading and
gets say, BN 161000. Car is loaded and billed and
moves to destination. At destination La Crosse Milling
is notified the car is there, it goes on demurrage and
the waybill is converted to a freight bill and is paid.
Car gets unloaded, end of story. This is a completed
move. The proper rate has been paid from South Shore SD
to Cochrane WI. The Oats are processed by the feed mill
and become impossible to identify as to origin.

Six months later La Crosse Milling orders a car to ship
bagged oat groats to Moorman at Quincy IL. BN provides
CB&Q 62000. This is part of a group of cars that BN has
on hand to cover prospective loading at this Customer.
As Agent, I do not even know where the car is going when
I have it spotted for loading. They may have 18 40' box
cars ordered for that week. When Tuesday rolls around,
for instance, I see that I need to supply 4 cars. They
are put on a constructive placement notice that is given
to the Customer. The demurrage clock starts at 0700 on
that day. Ordered cars are placed at particular points
for loading in sequence in order to minimize demurrage.
On Thursday I get a switch list and it is CB&Q 62000's
turn to be spotted. Friday afternoon I sign for a bill
of lading/shipping order for this car. The demurrage
clock stops at that time.

I start the waybill process by creating a waybill that
has enough information to move the car to destination.
There will not be any charges on the copy the car moves
on. This is normal. The net weight is 66,000 lbs. The
Customer requests that the 66,000 lbs be applied from
waybill 12345, BN 161000, South Shore SD, 01-Apr-80.
Now it is math time:

Oats, South Shore SD to Cochrane WI was paid at
50 cents a hundred weight.

Rate from Cochrane WI to Quincy IL on oat groats is
50 cents a hundred weight. This rate is not used.

Through rate from South Shore SD to Quincy IL on oats
or oat products is 75 cents a hundred weight.

The freight charge on CB&Q 62000 is thusly 25 cents a
hundred weight.

La Crosse Milling still has "in hand" 14,000 lbs of
that inbound tonnage to be used. Yes, they may apply
inbound charges from more than one car or origin to
the same outbound car. Each is figured by itself and
the totals added up.

All normal demurrage rules apply when CB&Q 62000 gets
to Quincy IL.

With de-regulation the above scenario is no longer
possible. Even under the old tariff rules transit
rates only apply to certain commodities. You can
not use inbound tonnage on steel sheets to ship
refrigerators. Examples of "Transit Rate" type moves:

Grain, to be processed or milled.
Poles, to be treated.
Pipe, to be wrapped or coated.
Coke, to be dried or ground up.

Transit billing is not to be confused with stop-offs
for loading or unloading. Totally different concept.

Russ