Re: [CBQ] Re: California Zephyr in KC

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: California Zephyr in KC
From: Bob Webber <zephyr1@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 12:37:53 -0600
If you're trying to ascertain if there was a time when or if there were
complete sets of one railroad's cars in one trainset (i.e. the split of one
D&RGW, two WP, 2 CB&Q and 1 part CB&Q/Part WP/Part D&RGW, the answer is
that as far as I have seen this was never the case.  Even on the first day
of operation this wasn't possible due to the use of the dome coaches and
other cars in the Expo and then the various on-line tours, with the
attendant maintenance.  Added to that were a couple of wrecks that threw
the proportions a little awry.

Whenever there was a second section, it was typically a dog's breakfast of
cars, rarely were there more than a couple (if that) CZ cars in the
train.  Far more typical were the CB&Q post war Budd "pool" cars, and a you
saw, heavyweights.  In terms of foreign cars in the 60's, that is likely a
function of the removal of Silver Rapids as a Transcon sleeper and the use
of non-CZ equipment in this role when it did run (which wasn't necessarily
scheduled or all the time).  This is especially true with the NYC cars,
since, unlike the PRR, they never had a car of their own, they leased a
CB&Q car for their part of the original transcon agreement.   I have photos
of several of the consists that I rode on in the '60's that included PRR
sleepers.  And a lot that had SP sleepers.  These were usually tour groups,
and usually placed directly ahead of the obs (to allow the train
phone/audio to work for as many cars as possible).

The Q also was very good about trying to stretch a dime as far as possible,
and tried to use the cars as much as possible, and as you know used some of
the CZ equipment on overnight runs out of Chicago (as the train was turned
and serviced).  That also could impact the classic consist as there were a
few times that backfired - but the Burlington folks were always (and
justifiably) proud of their ability to think on their feet and come up with
a workable alternative - to the point where to the casual observer the
problem wasn't obvious.  I'd love to hear some of those stories!

I have consists of when I was on it, but unfortunately, 2 of them happen to
match the dates of consists the society has published.  I wish I was a
little more observant and a photographer when I was 6 in Riverside when our
house's sideyard was the 4 track main - I could sit in our bed room (second
floor) and watch the daily parade of trains come and go (this being 1963) -
nothing like it in the world!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM