Re: [BRHSlist] waycar internal life

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] waycar internal life
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:48:14 -0700 (PDT)
At Centralia, there was the "Beardstown" waycar track
and the "Centralia" waycar track for the two road
freight trainmen/conductor pools. I never could figure
why the Beardstown track was closer to the yard
office. Looks like the local boys would have put
their's on the near track!
John M.
--- Russell Strodtz <vlbg@earthlink.net> wrote:
> John,
>
> Back before the days of pooled waycars the waycar
> was changed at
> every crew change point.  Even a location like North
> La Crosse with
> more daily passengers movements than freight it
> would not have been
> unusual to have over 20 assigned waycars.  It was
> also not unusual to
> have 3 or 4 old 40 or 50 foot flats that were
> actually kept on the waycar
> track.
>
> To make the switching easier some locations would
> have separate
> tracks for assigned waycars from the East and West
> pools.
>
> Right now at North La Crosse the track that stub
> ends at the office and
> is used to park the yard and local engines is called
>  the "West Waycar
> Track".  Would have been right along side the C&NW
> interchange.
> Only problem is that I never did figure out where
> the "East Waycar
> Track" was.
>
> It's not easy to hide a track at North La Crosse
> because the whole yard
> is built on a filled in swamp.  If an area is not
> filled in you can be sure
> there was never a track at that location. Some day I
> might figure that one
> out.  If I just had to pick a spot today I would say
> along the roundhouse
> lead just on the basis that that's the only place it
> could have been.
>
> Russ

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

Buy quality ink cartridges & refill kit. Remanufactured & Refills for:
HP $8-20, Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15. FREE shipping over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6347
http://us.click.yahoo.com/lB7L3D/k5uGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM