Re: [BRHSlist] waycar internal life

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] waycar internal life
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:02:00 -0500
Ben,

Normal would be Conductor and Rear Brakeman, (also called
Flagman). Normally cupola forwards. It was CB&Q policy to
put a "low car" ahead of the waycar, an empty flat or gon
so that the view of the train would be clearer from the
cupola.

Normally the Flagman would be in the cupola most of the
time. Would probably have a preferred side to sit on but
would move from side to side going around curves so he
could look at the side of the train ahead.

Conductor could be either in the cupola or at his desk
doing paperwork or whatever. Usually arranged so he
could look out a rear window at what was behind the train.
This is important because if a car derails or something
falls off there would be evidence of it behind the train.
This would be damaged ties or grade crossing planks tore
out.

The benches along the sides had hinged lids so underneath
there were storage areas for tools and supplies. The wooden
lids would usually be just plain wood but with long flat
cushions laying on top. Usually horsehair covered in black
leather or vinyl. You did not need to take the cushions
off to get at the stuff under the lids but you could if you
needed to. Beneath the cupola there were higher storage
closets. Next to the stove would be a place to store
coal or if it was an oil stove there would be a tank,
usually up in one of the ceiling corners that could be
filled through a pipe from the roof or on the side near
the roof.

In early years some Railroads required marker lights on
top of the cupola.  This would be something to check on
if you are going in the direction of the teens or 20's.

Never heard of anywhere that freight crews wore uniforms.
Bib overalls or work type coveralls would be pretty normal.
The kinda clothes you would get at an Army Navy store. Was
a dirty job and not much reason to ruin good clothes at work.

Think that covers it,

Russ