Re: [BRHSlist] waycar internal life

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] waycar internal life
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:06:46 -0500
Marshall,

Recollections from a current age. Argentine has been told
to make up the power on the West Texas feed lot trains with
the trailing unit facing East so if the train runs via
La Junta all they have to do is run around the train. Sounds
easy, too easy.

That rear unit usually turns out to be a SD40-2 or a foreign
unit. So now part of running around the train also includes
turning the power set. That is not really a problem as La Junta
has both a balloon track where the roundhouse and back shop used
to be and a mainline quality wye where the Pueblo, Raton, and
La Junta subs meet. It just shows that the train crews will
alter any "plan" that Management might think of.

Argentine is also supposed to make up the California grain
trains in DP with 4+2 and with the rear unit facing out.
Then all they need to do is re-link from the other end and
go, right?  Too easy.

The rules say that you can't run 2+4 with all the rear units
on line. It only takes 4 units to make it from La Junta to
Amarillo but I have never had a crew take my suggestion of
just isolating two on the rear. So now you gotta get two units
from one end and stick them behind the two units that will be
the new leaders so you are back to 4+2 again. To be quite
honest with you if it's not done at La Junta it would just
have to be done at Amarillo and getting anything done there
involves major delays to lots of trains.

Things never really change.

Russ

> At least around 1950, the BNW turn out of Burlington usually turned loco and
> caboose (or the entire outgoing train) at the Washington depot wye . . .
>
> Recollection from a *very* young age -
>
> Marshall Thayer
> Mt. Pleasant, IA

ReplayTV: Control live television