Re: [BRHSlist] waycar internal life

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] waycar internal life
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:19:11 -0700 (PDT)
Good job Russ. But I do take exception to one small
part. While the cupola may have been forward much of
the time, there was no "normal" position for it. The
waycar could be run either way and was. Most of the
time, it did not get turned at the end a run. The
cupola seats just got flipped over and the markers
were hung on the other end. In my part of the world,
most crews wanted the cupola to the rear when handling
loaded coal trains, because it cut down the dust, they
had to inhale (or so they claimed). I might also add
that on the side of the waycar with the desk was a
fold down table that served as a cabinet for food and
eating and cooking utensils. Under the cupola was a
closet for work clothes. Next to the stove was a wash
basin with a large water tank. At the end away from
the cupola was a large ice box with a lid that raised
up. At both ends, there were fusee racks. The toilet
was on the cupola end, on the left as you looked at
the end door from the outside of the waycar, (it was
cold place in the winter and a very hot place in the
summer). Also the "condutor's" seat in the cupola was
on the stove side (the desk was opposite the stove) on
the same side as the air brake valve.
John

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511