Re: [BRHSlist] waycar internal life

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] waycar internal life
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:02:33 -0500
John,

Back before the days of pooled waycars the waycar was changed at
every crew change point.  Even a location like North La Crosse with
more daily passengers movements than freight it would not have been
unusual to have over 20 assigned waycars.  It was also not unusual to
have 3 or 4 old 40 or 50 foot flats that were actually kept on the waycar
track.

To make the switching easier some locations would have separate
tracks for assigned waycars from the East and West pools.

Right now at North La Crosse the track that stub ends at the office and
is used to park the yard and local engines is called  the "West Waycar
Track".  Would have been right along side the C&NW interchange.
Only problem is that I never did figure out where the "East Waycar
Track" was.

It's not easy to hide a track at North La Crosse because the whole yard
is built on a filled in swamp.  If an area is not filled in you can be sure
there was never a track at that location. Some day I might figure that one
out.  If I just had to pick a spot today I would say along the roundhouse
lead just on the basis that that's the only place it could have been.

Russ