Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Prairie Du Chien

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Prairie Du Chien
From: LaVerne Andreessen <LWAndreessen@f...>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:16:20 -0600

baton580 wrote:

--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, LaVerne Andreessen

> Russell Strodtz wrote:
>

> > CMStP&P depot is built of stone and is further South. That
> > was so it could serve trains crossing the river on their bridge.
> > Last time I was in Marquette the stone roundhouse and all the
> > stone shop buildings were still standing.

The Marquette roundhouse and shops buildings have been gone for
several years. All that may be left is one part of the old rip track
that angles toward where the engine and repair facilities used to
stand. I seem to remember the roundhouse as being a frame building,
but the memory could be going.<grin>

I, too, well recall Marquette r/h, and the presence of Milwaukee engines. I recall many visits to the Marquette r/h and the affable Everett Moody who was the foreman. However, I am interested in PDC, not MQ.

> Where are these buildings located? West of the downtown area and
> north of the hiway bridge? Or, south of the bridge?? Or?? Thanks.

The tourist center is north of the US 18 bridge.

The PDC tourist center? It is at the east end of the bridge, located between the e/b and w/b hiway 18 sections.

Best accessed by
taking Blackhawk Ave.(downtown PdC) west as far as you can without
swimming. There were several pieces of rolling stock there for quite
awhile, but they were gone the last few times I was in PdC. They may
be down at the fertilizer plant along with several Milw. cabeese in
various states of decay.

Yes, I have noted the rolling stock in PDC, and yes, I have noted the various Milwaukee cabooses and related items down near the fertilizer plant in PDC. I have been by the plant a few dozen times through the years.

What I wish to know is this: Where are the former Milwaukee buildings, which Russ cited, are located in PDC. Only PDC. Not Marquette.

Thanks.

LWA