Re: Prairie Du Chien

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Prairie Du Chien
From: "baton580 <rplaehn@c...>" <rplaehn@c...>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 02:51:44 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, LaVerne Andreessen
<LWAndreessen@f...> wrote:

> Russell Strodtz wrote:
>

> > CMStP&P depot is built of stone and is further South. That
> > was so it could serve trains crossing the river on their bridge.
> > Last time I was in Marquette the stone roundhouse and all the
> > stone shop buildings were still standing.

The Marquette roundhouse and shops buildings have been gone for
several years. All that may be left is one part of the old rip track
that angles toward where the engine and repair facilities used to
stand. I seem to remember the roundhouse as being a frame building,
but the memory could be going.<grin>

> Where are these buildings located? West of the downtown area and
> north of the hiway bridge? Or, south of the bridge?? Or?? Thanks.

The tourist center is north of the US 18 bridge. Best accessed by
taking Blackhawk Ave.(downtown PdC) west as far as you can without
swimming. There were several pieces of rolling stock there for quite
awhile, but they were gone the last few times I was in PdC. They may
be down at the fertilizer plant along with several Milw. cabeese in
various states of decay.

> This is interesting news - I plan to do a better looksee next time
> I am in the PDC area.
>
> LWA

Bob Plaehn