Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Prairie Du Chien

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Prairie Du Chien
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 08:23:54 -0600
LWA

I have been told that if the depot still exists it is South of the
fertilizer plant. There was once a wye where the present
trackage turns North. The bridge was supposed to be in a
direct line with the line coming in from the East.

BTW, the fertilizer plant very rarely ships anything outbound by rail.
When I was working at La Crosse, ('86-'94), about every two or
three months they would get about 36 loads of Canadian Potash
in as a unit. Often times the BN would leave the excess loads
on the interchange and PS&G would trade them for empties.
They were really not supposed to be up there but it was to the
RR's advantage so why not.

The switches around the plant were CMStP&P standards and BN
did not have any material to repair them. IIRC when things broke
PS&G would get material from WICT/WSOR and BN would fix.
In the summer of '93, (I think), BN put about 2 carloads of ties in
on it's trackage. As is normal practice, broken rails were just
barred.

If you really want to explore the past, I have been told that pre
1930's there was a industry track off the CB&Q Eastward track
that did wander it's way down to a connection with the trackage
along the riverfront. This was probably for joint service to the
industry. A similar situation existed in La Crosse where the track
that went straight West down the center of the street at the
North La Crosse Depot actually connected with the CMStP&P
industrial trackage that went North from just across from their
roundhouse. That was the trackage that got the 4000 and the
waycar in the park, (from the CMStP&P end I think).

Russ