Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Prairie Du Chien

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Prairie Du Chien
From: LaVerne Andreessen <LWAndreessen@f...>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 09:48:32 -0600

baton580 wrote:

This is the State of Wisconsin Welcome Center. I was speaking of a
building(s) that are/were privately owned at the west end of Blackhawk
Ave. that were to be a tourist center-gift shops-tavern/restaurant
etc. in a restored old stone warehouse bldg. located along the
ex-Milw. tracks. There were also passenger rail cars on the siding
adjacent and close to the levee where the Delta Queen and other Queen
have docked when on upper river excursions. All were intended to tie
in with the Villa Louis tourist area and park and give some life to
St. Feriole Island. Much of this with a railroad theme. There was
quite a bit of railroad equipment (rolling stock and other types,
maybe even a turntable IIRC) moved in to this area at one time.
However, it is all gone now.

Thanks.

I recall there was (is??) a small center cab industrial switcher located near the coal transfer. It is a Whitcomb that was supposedly used at the Borden bean processing plant in Waterloo, Iowa. The paint scheme is faded red and white.

Does that articulated GATX covered hopper set continue to rust to the rails? It, too, was located near the coal transfer point. Or, has it disappeared?

LWA