Re: E-5 B Units (Was: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1429 (New CB&Q E7A)}

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: E-5 B Units (Was: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1429 (New CB&Q E7A)} <snip...
From: Bill Chambers <ace1942us@y...>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:18:33 -0700 (PDT)
Hello, Warren.

I wanted to reply, but deleted the message first.
Luckily, I had saved it to a text file.

> remember a trip of my dads on #30 he was mad about
> when he got in cause of the dispatchers not
answering
> the radio. they had an engine on fire, a fire inside

> an E unit and the fireman, bill hampshire, coming
> back and forth to report how he was doing,
eventually
> ran out of fire extingushers and dispatchers had
> still not answered the radio after calling and
> calling over quite a period of time. the only one
> who answered him was the conductor wanting to know
> what was going on. they, engineer and conductor made

> their plans on what to do. dad told me it was
getting
> pretty bleak, between creston and chariton engine on

> fire, fireman using last fire extingisher,
dispatcher
> not answering to have him call chariton fire brigade

> to meet them to help put it out, or i guess should
> say to put it out.

If memory serves me right, the very same thing
happened on the California Zephyr in the late 1960s.
I could be wrong, but I swear I remember hearing about
this on the TV news out of Des Moines.

Somewhere east of Creston, one of the motors in one of
the CZ's E-units caught fire. Naturally, the fireman
was fighting to save the unit, but this time, there
was a dispatcher doing his job. The train was west of
Osceola, and he contacted the Osceola fire department.
They met the CZ near the Osceola station and put out
the fire.

Maybe we are talking about the same event, but I swear
that I remember a news item about an engine room fire
on the California Zephyr.

Bill