Re: E-5 B Units (Was: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1429 (New CB&Q E7A)}

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: E-5 B Units (Was: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1429 (New CB&Q E7A)} <snip...
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:04:33 -0500
Pete,

Since they had no portable radios the Engineer could not tell the
Conductor and Flagman which side. On a conventional train they
could just open both sides of a vestibule and look ahead. The
Zephyrs were just too short and quick to have the time to do that.

Of course in double track orders were always delivered on the
right side unless the Operator had reversed a crossover or
knew he/she had protection on the other track.

With "E" and "F" units often the Fireman or Head Brakeman
would come over to the right side and take a couple of steps
down the side ladder. Where there was a platform it was
much better but when you had to work from the ground the
stereotype of the Engineer just sticking out his hand just didn't
work. With the "Q's" conservative purchasing attitudes stands
were few and far between. In later years with hood units
a member of the head end crew would go out the back door
and down on the walkway. Saved about two feet of height
that way. Even saw a few Engineers that would do that. The
train could run itself for long enough to make that move.

At some places the motor car setoffs would give you about
an extra foot of reach. Just had to be sure of your footing.

Have changed jobs now and between Dodge City and Las
Animas Jct which is ABS if it is necessary to give Amtrak
a track warrant they have to stop the train. Only one person
in the cab and the rules require it. Times change.

Russ