E-5 B Units (Was: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1429 (New CB&Q E7A)} <sni

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: E-5 B Units (Was: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1429 (New CB&Q E7A)} <snip...
From: "liljop" <wulrich@a...>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:35:53 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@y..., PSHedgpeth@a... wrote:
> Russ
>
> In your previous post you mentioned the TT instructions that
Zephyr type
> motor trains must slow to 60 to pick up orders.
>
> I've also noticed in some of the old TT's that orders can only be
handed up
> on the right hand side on "Zephyr type motor trains. This was
also in the
> letter of instructions for the operation of the "test" Denver
Zephyr
> operating from Chicago to Denver in October 1936.
>
> Can you enlighten us as to why the right hand side only
instruction? Seems
> that the zephyrs ( and all passenger trains to my knowledge)
carried a
> fireman (helpe r)?
>
> Pete

pete,
know you did not ask me, but i'll take a stab, the fireman could be
back in the motors, so there would be no one to catch the orders on
the firemans side.
on an aside, if you read some icc accident reports, involving f
units, amazingly <grin> the fireman was usually/always back in the
motors when whatever that happened, happened.

warren