Re: E-5 B Units (Was: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1429 (New CB&Q E7A)}

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: E-5 B Units (Was: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1429 (New CB&Q E7A)} <snip...
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:48:17 -0500

> someone will have to explain it to me. air, mu cable, control hoses.
> don't have a clue how......

If the air hose swings upwards and the glad hand catches on
something things act much different. A bent air hose will
pinch shut. The other stuff only concerns the units behind,
not the leader.

One night during the freeze and thaw season an IHB transfer put
their caboose on the ground going over the crossing to the little
factory that was/is inside the North Wye. Turned sideways and
kept going because the air hose stayed coupled and bent over
double. When it got to the point where things get tight with the
Q's elevation to the South and the Q's pole line to the North the
embankment started to make the twist even more and one of the
angle cocks just broke off. They did take out one pole on the pole
line. There were two guys riding on this caboose but they had no
control at all and got rather concerned.

For quite a while after that either one of our engines or one
of theirs would have to run through that crossing before they
would shove over it. If we had not done it they would stop
a 100 car train with the rear end probably still on 47th St.
and East Ave. and both crossings within La Grange blocked
just to run up and do that.

Russ