Re: E-5 B Units (Was: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1429 (New CB&Q E7A)}

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: E-5 B Units (Was: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1429 (New CB&Q E7A)} <snip...
From: "Marshall Thayer" <zephyr9903@e...>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:40:55 -0700
>> when you were departing a terminal the fireman would walk thru the f
units in checking the engine oil, water, governor oil, etc. before
leaving. after leaving the terminal and getting out of town and
being notched up to #8 you would take another walk thru the units
just to check if everthing was ok. later on in the trip the engineer
might remark "sure are pulling funny, we got 'em all?" that was a
clue to get off your duff and take a stroll back thru the units. <<

. . . but, of course, strolling back through the lashup wasn't so tempting when
you were on a passenger run with all A units . . .

Which reminds of a great story I heard once - but don't know all the details.
It seems that the northbound out of St. Louis was making fairly good time,
which the engine crew naturally chalked up to the fact that their tonnage was
just between unit counts, so they had half an extra unit in terms of pulling
power. Then, just north of keokuk (IIRC), it was like they got an extra surge
of power. The gauges looked all right, but eventually the fireman meandered
back into the engine room just to make sure. There was *WAAAY* too much light
coming in the back window - because 2 units and 10 or 12 cars weren't there any
more. I don't remember what happened, or how it could happen, with air and all,
but the upshot was that they carefully backed down a few miles to where the
train (and a puzzled conductor) were standing on the track. Supposedly, they
hooked back up, made Burlington not-too-far off the card, and NEVERnevernever
reported anything officially.

Does this story ring a bell? Did I screw it up really bad?

Marshall Thayer