Re: E-5 B Units (Was: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1429 (New CB&Q E7A)}

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: E-5 B Units (Was: Re: [BRHSlist] Digest Number 1429 (New CB&Q E7A)} <snip...
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:48:51 EDT
Warren and list

I was just discussing with another ancient railroader today re what you
mentioned about location of fireman whenever anything amiss occurred. He was
ALWAYS back in the engine room.

I myself was involved with an incident in 1957 when I was the head brakeman
on Q No. 61 (St. Joe-Lincoln) and the engineer overlooked the fact that we
were to head in for a meet with No. 78. We got by the switch and if 78
hadn't been stopped back at the depot at Tecumseh we would have hit him. Of
course at the investigation the fireman stated (correctly in this case) I
was back in the engine room.

Pete