Re: [BRHSlist] Lunar

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Lunar
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:08:11 -0500
Don,

To be more precise:

CB&Q > Lunar/Red = Stop & Proceed at Restricted speed.
CB&Q > Flashing Red = Not used.

Consolidated Code of 1980:

BN > Lunar/Red = Proceed at Restricted Speed
BN > Flashing Red = Stop & Proceed at Restricted Speed

General Code of 1994:

BNSF > Lunar/Red = Proceed at Restricted Speed
BNSF > Flashing Red = Proceed at Restricted Speed

Stored routes? Yes, any modern CTC has this capability.
It does have to be used with foreknowledge of it's implications
or it can get you in a lot of trouble.

Example: At Palmer Lake the apex of the grade is right at
the power switch from double to single track. Anything that
requires pushing Southbound likes to have the pushers cut
off with the train "balanced". The pusher follows the train
up to the absolute signal and because it will take about 15"
for the rear of the train to clear the block the Dispatcher has
usually "pre-authorized" them to pass the absolute signal.
Their next move will be to run North on MT#2 so there is the
temptation to stack a route from single track to MT#2.
This might work 25 times in a row but eventually you are
going to get a crew that either stops or dawdles enough
behind the downhill train for the occupancy to clear and the
stack throws the switch and the pusher then runs through
the switch on YOUR authority.

The correct and job safety wise way to do it is to block the
switch, stack no routes, and when you pre-authorize the
move instruct the crew to tell you when they are South of
the switch. The reason that they have to actually tell you
when they are South of the switch is because there is only
one track section between Palmer Lake and Monument
and the downhill train will be on that section anyway.

Russ