Re: U25B's

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: U25B's
From: "zephyr98072" <glenehaug@m...>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 07:41:12 -0000
It seems odd to me that the U-25B's were not allowed west of
Sheridan, but I won't dispute it. The U-25B's were heavier than the
previous four axle power, but not by much.

If they were not allowed all the way to Laurel, however, it was
probably due to rail size and not deferred maintenance. This line
was in decent enough shape for the limited traffic that it handled,
but there was still a lot of 90# bolted rail in at least two long
stretches between Sheridan and Huntley. The speed of six axle
freight locomotives was reduced on the 90# rail.

Of course, no one contemplated what would happen to this railroad in
the next few years. The unit coal trains tore the 90# and 112#
bolted and burnt shale ballast up in a hurry.

Glen Haug