Re: [BRHSlist] Questions On Terms

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Questions On Terms
From: Paul/Celine Kossart <kozys@t...>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 14:51:09 -0500
At 06:00 PM 8/16/02, Russell Strodtz wrote:

If the train you are talking about is "CD" A & C Mixed
just means that the D&RGW had three blocking groups
and they did not care at that particular time if the
A's and C's were mixed. You may ask why there are
two "D&RGW B" blocks. That blocking would be
out of Galesburg and it means that those blocks could
be added to the head end without breaking the train
apart. This made for a quick Terminal time and could
be corrected at Denver or by the D&RGW. Note that
"ACD" required the three D&RGW blocks be maintained.

Hi Russ,

Well, here I was patting myself on the back for "figuring" this out and then I get your post and you verified it. Thanks!

The placement of TOFC in train consists was usually
dictated by the geography of the yard. Between Galesburg
and Cicero it was almost always on the rear. Don't know
where you are seeing photos of it on the head end.

The photos I saw were in the various "Color" books on the 'Q but they could have been taken anywhere on the system so, as you say, they could have been dictated by circumstances in that part of the world. It's not that critical but thought I would mention it as the Data Sheets are showing TOFC blocked in front of the waycar - at least on the trains I was interested in. This was probably the norm, then, as you indicate.

"Propers & Shorts" deserves a better discussion.
For example a block called "McCook proper and shorts
McCook to Akron" would contain cars for all stations
for and between the listed points. McCook would
switch the setout and run a local, but only to Akron.
This would mean a Ft Morgan car would probably be
in the Denver block.

"Connections" can mean different things. It can either
be interchange or another CB&Q train. If you look
through that thing a lot of the language is "boilerplate".
By that I mean that the same instructions are repeated
for different trains that in some cases did not even handle
that kind of traffic or that "Connections" might be shown
at a station with very little interchange.

I appreciate your in depth fleshing out of the terms "proper & shorts" and "connections" for me.

Another thing is that LC & LPB are described as combo
trains that may be split if there is enough volume. While
this is generally true "LC" was always called "LC"
whether it included the "LPB" traffic or not. To make it
more complicated in the mid 60's "LPB" very rarely ran
East of Galesburg. The traffic would be moved on a 1st
and 2nd, (and rarely a 3rd), "LC". Actually "LC" was
often called "LC70" in the real world.

You've got me here, Russ. My eyes glazed over after reading the above. What is LC and LPB, etc.?

As to exact consists I had quite a few on my web site. . . .
. . . If you have
any other questions please refer to them by train symbol.
That way I can look them up.
Russ

If this would help you, or any others who may have info, the train numbers I came up with for freight trains that would be going through my part of the modeled world, between roughly 6 am to 6 pm are in late 1969 the following:

Eastbound - #'s 60, 62 (DC), 70, 100, local 592

Westbound - #'s 63, 65, 67, 163, 165, 595, 597, local 591, local 593

Paul Kossart - Peru, Illinois, USA
Modeling the CB&Q & fictional Illiniwek River Valley area in the 1960's.
"Serving Agriculture and Industry in the Illiniwek River Valley since 1904."