RE: [BRHSlist] Questions On Terms

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Questions On Terms
From: "Tom Mitchell" <tmitchell@c...>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:04:07 -0400
From: PSHedgpeth@a... [mailto:PSHedgpeth@a...]
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2002 11:46 AM
To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com

Paul and list

Here's what my old memory tells me regarding some of your questions. My
operating days go back to 1950's and early 60's before a lot of the
changes
were made, but I'll be glad to stand corrected.

PHP Packing House Products.....Hides, Tallow, etc.
Dead Freight...Anything other than Perishable, TOFC, Autos, Auto Parts
etc.
Could be such items as lumber, coal, sand, cement. etc.
S.O.T. Only thing I can relate this to is South Omaha Terminal. This
switching road served the Packing Houses in South Omaha. If this (SOT)
applied to an Omaha Bound train that's probably it it means.
A&C Mixed ?????
Connections....=Cars to be interchanged to other roads
Grouping = Blocks or blocking
TOFC Seems like TOFC could be placed anywhere in the block for that
station..unless perhaps it was to be placed next to the engine or waycar
expedite switching at the location these cars are destined to. It could
also
be a function of which end of the train was to be "worked---switched" at a
particular destination. Could also be a function of the TOFC being kept
where it could be watched either from head end or rear end...(remember
waycars).
Consist is a list of the train by individual car..Normally starts with the
rear end.
In the "olden days" a consist was usually thrown off by the conductor at
the
first open station out of the initial terminal. The operator at said open
station would send the consist by telegraph to the final terminal to be
used
by the yardmaster in planning the switching of the train.

Pete Hegpeth

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor