Re: [CBQ] E Unit Headlights

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] E Unit Headlights
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 10:21:36 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Rich,

Based on the attached photo from the BRHS Flickr gallery, when they went to the two bulb Mars light, the top bulb was white (clear) and the bottom was red. They move together just as they did on the steam locomotives. When illuminated in regular operation, only the white was on. I believe that the red came on only in an emergency brake application, just as they did on other Q locomotives. In looking through the Flickr photos, the Mars light was almost never on during the day. If it was on, the engineer probably didn’t realize it. Take a look at the Flickr E5, 7,8 and 9 albums for more photos. BTW, there are now over 40000 photos available in the members only Flickr gallery.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

E Unit Headlights

From: Richard Gortowski
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 09:58:09 PDT

We're starting to install sound decoders into my brass E units, and at the same time, we need to install the headlights.  After looking at Bulletins 10 and 57, it appears that the E-5, E-7. and at least the 1949/50 orders of E-8's were delivered with a Mars light on the top and a single beam headlamp in the lower casing.  As far as I can tell, they weren't changed to the dual beams until sometime in the 50's/60's.  Is that correct?

I know that we have had discussions about the Mars lights, but I can't recall the details.  Were these two separate bulbs, side by side that alternated to create the "triple eight" pattern?  If so. both white bulbs?  In a vertical or horizontal position, as delivered?

Thanks for any clarification,

Rich G

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#63884) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_