Re: [CBQ] 0-6-0 No. 3?

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 0-6-0 No. 3?
From: "little-q@att.net" <trains@davidstreeter.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 20:55:00 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Do these photos exist with higher resolution than you attached? I noticed on the first one that the number plate on the smokebox door quite obviously is indeed 504 with the 5 and 0 painted out, but the original 4 left in place.

On the third photo, however, all three digits were painted over and a larger 6 painted in the middle. It's hard to be sure at this resolution, but it kind of looks to me like the original third digit was also a 4. Given that the smokebox front is different, I wonder if this was originally 514. I know it was stated that the practice was to just use the last digit of the number the loco arrived with, but how hard and fast was that rule? Might they have changed it to avoid duplication?

The fourth photo's number plate is too faint to really tell much, but I wonder if it's more legible at higher res.

--
David Streeter