Re: [CBQ] 0-6-0 No. 3?

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 0-6-0 No. 3?
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 19:24:50 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Here’s an interesting tid bit about Q locos going to Northwestern Steel and Wire for dismantling that I doubt is widely known.

When we gave the presentation for the Lee County Historical Society at Dixon,IL a few years back, a gentlemen came up to me before the start. He asked if I had worked for the RR, when I said yes he wanted to know where,when,positions,etc. he volunteered that he had been Chicago Division Supt(BN) about the same period I was a brakeman and Conductor on the division. So we commenced to discuss a number of subjects.

One of the points of discussion was Northwestern Steel and its owner, Mr. Dillon. The gentlemen shared his memory that Mr Dillon didn’t consider a steam locomotive “delivered” if it lacked a brass bell. Of course if the brass bell was left on, at its normal operating position, it quickly disappeared. So............ the Q mechanical dept. would remove the bell, place it in the firebox and tack weld the door.

After the presentation C.K. Keck joined on the spot as a BRHS Conductors club member  and I just checked the roster and he remains one.

Leo Phillipp