[CBQ] Q Steam Being Scrapped At NWS&W [1 Attachment]

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Q Steam Being Scrapped At NWS&W [1 Attachment]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 14:59:47 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com included below]

October 11, 2015

Hol - Here's the "last image" probably ever taken of Class M-4-A No. 6310 as it waited else where in line with a number of GTW steam locomotives to be scrapped at NWS&W in Sterling, IL, during July 1963. This is not a very good image, but taking a photograph of a dark steam engine while shooting more-or-less into the sun was always difficult, even with Tri-X film that I used during the era. Many locomotive there couldn't even be photographed at they were all shoved into, as I remember, a long siding three tracks wide leading to the cutting area close to the mill furnaces. Whereas it was possible to photograph the locomotives on the outer tracks if the sun was right, the locomotives on the middle track were too obscured. As I recall now, NWS&W, even in the bright sunlight, was still a dreary, sad place to be what with all the dead Q and GTW rusty steam locomotives there waiting to be cut-up. Even the live ex-GTW 0-8-0's switching the mill and shoving there sisters up to the cutting field didn't brighten-up the day. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhhope, AL

Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com | View attachments on the web

1 of 1 Photo(s)