[CBQ] Q Steam Being Scrapped At NWS&W [1 Attachment]

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Q Steam Being Scrapped At NWS&W [1 Attachment]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 16:26:19 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com included below]

October 6, 2015

Hol - Whereas Galesburg and Lincoln deadline images of retired Q steam are fairly common, actual images of Q steam being scrapped inside the gates of a scrap yard are relatively rare. I took the attached image in July 1961 at Northwestern Steel & Wire in Sterling, IL. Shown is Class O-5-A No. 5609 in the process of being cut-up. The locomotive had been separated from its tender at far left and the torch crew had started cutting off the rods and cross head. I don't recall which day of the week it was, but from the lack of workmen, I'd assume it was on a Saturday. The Corbin book says 5609 was built by the Q at the West Burlington Shops in September 1936 and sold for scrap in May 1961. It was not quite 25 years old when scrapped and had been out-of-service, I would think, for about five years. I've understood that the Class O-5 locomotives had a design life of 30 to 35 years depending upon shopping cycles, so diesels cut short their service careers by a decade or more. In the background is the C&NW mainline and the cab of a passing ALCO switcher can be seen. From visiting NWS&W a number of times with my Dad who was Chicago Division Superintendent at the time, I developed a strong interest in the scrap and steel industries resulting in my later making a rewarding and interesting career in the scrap business. If any one else has images of Q steam actually being scrapped, I'd enjoy seeing them. By far the best collection of images showing Q steam power being scrapped at NWS&W appear in noted railfan photographer Ron Zeil's 1963 book Twilight Of Steam Locomotives. I treasure my copy. Another one of my images tomorrow. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com | View attachments on the web

1 of 1 Photo(s)