Re: [CBQ] Wonder what these trains were ?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Wonder what these trains were ?
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 10:37:00 -0500 (EST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1389973028; bh=sxiB6t52sAlfPItThQ8OiTmoayENeslmdXPy8SFymiI=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:x-aol-global-disposition:x-aol-sid:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=AwuxEqHxI/LmMnY0rvT5qp+bPjmbgSWrHhVDCVYlWWYec/6DsSJw4muGdDRpXJxY+UoFMJ6B3JBCdrduC0XKdXfjYGtljOlsZJHCJcPYL9OWoyMFWnBg3mD0OiWVXxNdhdE5hAgGj2NqUCsy7dXzx2s+db7SySkbtaCx/TGISWY=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

MAIN is, indeed, an acronym...I'm not sure whether, or if, it would apply to other means of transporting military men and "impedimentia" (how about that word you military guys)...but MAIN  was the acronym for  Military Authorization Identification Number.

Bidding my final goodbyes to the military almost 50 years ago I have no idea whether the term is still "in vogue" or not.

In 1956 I was called for a MAIN to Ravenna..."Waycar and work clothes"....  That was the way the call came....Waycar and work clothes" meant that the train crew was not responsible for handling "transportation"...ie tickets.  This train was a National Guard Movement that came in off the Kansas City line and was going somewhere up the Pacific Northwest...There would have been a Passenger Department Representative aboard who would take care of the "passenger train stuff"

We had a couple of the California Zephyr "units"...9962C was in the lead.

Pete