[CBQ] Re: Water Cooled Journal Box Bearings

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Water Cooled Journal Box Bearings
From: "qmp211" <milepost206@mchsi.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 18:21:51 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1365445312; bh=KhAjK9nHisjlPI5+zHCuBwwZz1eTpQgQLD8wlHXQnG4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=4Jln0QxnwjoOyNsIE/cKc6a6Gjsv5QLlwgeIFOOTzCln+qnmu9ErKImDVvadwSmBpKOtyfyClSx0/oqN9ew7v05CeaYlvOloLgtjYn180AZ+KUwFpJVaiA9ORQ1wl8x+QufwuOGFBm/DZGYqBSRjqK6NMLkulOrQSymEJOmgabg=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Even with the premise surrounding the employee's duty to protect company
property, I am not convinced water cooling for hot journal boxes was a standard
practice.

And since the history of the engine found at the link appears to be written by
someone other than Baldwin, I would like to hear more about these water lines.
Limping an engine to a terminal is a lot different investment/safety
consideration than the conventional hotbox.

Any other photos of this arrangement on other engines would be helpful along
with any Baldwin info on theory and practice.

As for the long tender deck, many builder photos were hand retouched from other
images. I would suggest that this builder card MIGHT have reflected a long deck
as delivered.

But I tend to believe this was a possible revision in process for a longer
tender and then redrawn to the as-built length or just a mistake. The builders
and railroads bounced around many ideas for changes in the builder's card
format.

Anyway, that's my 2¢.

Randy

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com