Fwd: [CBQ] Re: Boyer speed recorders

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Fwd: [CBQ] Re: Boyer speed recorders
From: "mdeckergwtcnet" <mdecker@gwtc.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 00:34:43 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echo; t=1353803685; bh=nIorZQdppnPXgMKgNkK6a2/4AlL3Oq1m7SZRB0RpOOo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=ObA+6yt058r1aDAXqT4lA0UfjOUUCCvuZsDIMWshbN9eaQgLpHgF0TaItCOzDIjh7TNP/Ir/33rnRTUc6miJb4axzC7O5prPpLMuYjpPzbiwRb6gE2vxJozQPXy044OcN531WdG9fZKg2jEjWTrA+wE5Aun/3zEHSvZpuOzMXvI=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Sallee" <lwsallee2@...> wrote:

> In a conversation with one of the company officers regarding the increasing
> automation of the dispatchers jobs some years ago, and whether the computers
> could do a better job of dispatching than a real person, he made the comment
> that while they might never do as well as the better dispatchers, they would
> likely outperform the lesser ones, and in any event, it would be more
> predictable in all cases.
>
> With many of the new hires coming into the job with no prior railroad
> experience, perhaps predictability trumps efficiency. It seemed to me that by
> the time I left, dispatching was no longer a career, but just one step to a
> "better" job. If a guy is only going to spend a couple years at most
> dispatching and then move on, there's little opportunity to become a "better"
> dispatcher.
>
> Larry Sallee

LWS.......

That's what I told the MOP in Gillette the other day.  I wondered how the
Company could justify that distracting "video game" on the screen that they
call the "Engineer Advisor".

I told him that I covered up the button that flashes when you don't do what it
wants, with the band-aid out of a crew pack.  But I asked him about these guys
we've got running out here who hired out, went through Conductor class and
almost immediatly bid into the Engine program, before they even figured out
what they were supposed to be doing as Conductors.

It seemed to me, that some of the younger ones, who "grew up" on video games,
would be spending so much of their time "playing" that game that they wouldn't
be looking out the window to see what was actually happening with their train.
Since all that thing is concerened with is fuel economy, not safety....it
doesn't tell you what color that last signal was, he had to agree that it was
"a concern".

BNMike

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com