Fwd: [CBQ] Re: Boyer speed recorders

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Fwd: [CBQ] Re: Boyer speed recorders
From: "Larry Sallee" <lwsallee2@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 00:13:04 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echo; t=1353802388; bh=tqIjnf9tKqQpDjL2/DKYo0b/ZjrdkrypChIh+Secijo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=UxpTMHe4CK9wHZ1eMluZGwFanEPGSjPqGpZ7wPkNzQGWfGNb1W6sjbalG3+pEN/Ip02PMxSOB9wxxIlncSpiTaehZ11aJ9sPMyEydRjqO9hcpN1VKkx9R+NujY3M1xxY3jYqqECqyeEOoEY7aKL3eIwFP0jBenXL+1LxFhGRoyc=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In a conversation with one of the company officers regarding the increasing
automation of the dispatchers jobs some years ago, and whether the computers
could do a better job of dispatching than a real person, he made the comment
that while they might never do as well as the better dispatchers, they would
likely outperform the lesser ones, and in any event, it would be more
predictable in all cases.

With many of the new hires coming into the job with no prior railroad
experience, perhaps predictability trumps efficiency. It seemed to me that by
the time I left, dispatching was no longer a career, but just one step to a
"better" job. If a guy is only going to spend a couple years at most
dispatching and then move on, there's little opportunity to become a "better"
dispatcher.

Larry Sallee

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com