[CBQ] Re: Nikon Film Scanners

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Nikon Film Scanners
From: "qmp211" <milepost206@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 05:20:16 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1343712019; bh=3zTRlSGsOMVk/tco65TQjrKN9532yM8Xx7NJf4m65hE=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=RDU35vIST0JA9/NRErWZt/seWIHJgDqXQ7ZuX9Jwi2bpPO1a02xZjbzpMBv0GIOSbwg0XoKQ7TyZPlSwpVDm3mhyf8t1c6T6+2Dl143qCrRDn8klnx/IzHy8uzNahCPv
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Brian & Gordon,

You have to be brave........... to buy a Nikon. Especially used.

The slide loader for the 5000ED is different from the 4000 series design. I
strongly urge you to not buy a used one. People tweak on them when they jam
instead of sorting slides by slide mount, i.e. Kodak, Fuji, Ansco, Sears,
handload, whatever odd ball brand you see. Run the oddballs in smaller groups
or individually. You'll save your sanity.

The loaders are optimized for the thin Kodak/Fuji cardboard mounts and are
adjustable to allow for differing slide mount thickness.

There are several excellent websites with loader adjustment, troubleshooting
tips and scanner information. If you make the jump contact me offline and I
will dig around to find the links. It's great information and helps plug the
gaps I had in getting better results from the loader.

Bill raises valid points regarding scanning intentions. If you want to go a
step above just scanning for posterity and cataloging, there is a flat bed
option including the Epson V600.

If you have intentions to publish your material the Epson V700 and V750M will
yield better results due to optics and Dmax. I would recommend choosing a
scanner with a Dmax of 4.0 or higher. To not do so, you will be disappointed
with the image results.

I have tried to duplicate the results I see from submitted material when
scanned with the Nikon 5000ED. I sent my scanner to Nikon for a check up. It
came back with a new lamp and tune up. Things were a lot better and at a very,
very reasonable cost.

Photoshop can work very well with marginal images. But Photoshop really excels
with excellent scans made with excellent optics and a high Dmax. More data,
better image.

Scanning can be a journey wrought with financial peril. But everyday can be
Christmas when you see that scan for the first time. It's journey worth taking.

Good luck.

Randy

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com