[CBQ] Re: CB&Q photos from the '60's

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q photos from the '60's
From: "Larry" <lsallee@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 19:13:42 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1343502825; bh=9BJpx966+5MI3kQHFAhn5VyoYtmjdonsbYzmuuyzuD4=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=tAv28hpsJ6/nAMBsLLrudbvYr1i5dcyee1t9E1GKoJ/UpZgDqaNvUVng/X6qqBHJqOLgnm/oCRyy4T+sFEFfP4JuINjyzKRhe9Q4hgN2I1Vln72sJZ7VbL2ao4ME+V7v
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Bob,

Thanks for the correction, and I changed the description accordingly. In checking out that location, I also have a going-away shot of the same train that I haven't posted, and amazingly enough, I could identify some of the same trees in the photo with current trees that can be seen in Google street view - 45 years later!

This also led me to solve another puzzle (I think): After correcting the location of that shot, I went to look at two of my other photos that feature a bridge remarkably similar in appearance to the Columbia bridge: one is of a Zephyr (here) and the other of 4960 (here ). The bridge in the Zephyr photo bears a milepost marking of MP 26.07, and both trains look like they're on a superelevated curve (unlike Columbia Street, which is on straight track). I had never really taken the time to look closely at these bridge shots, but today I actually delved into it a little. Since Lisle is at MP 24.4 and Naperville is 28.4, this bridge would have been about halfway between the two. Consulting my faithful Google map, sure enough, it looks like there might have previously been one at what appears to be Beau Bien Blvd, which is now dead-ended on both sides of the tracks. The satellite and street views seem to confirm this, with what looks like vestiges of an old road right-of-way on both sides. Does this sound right?

Larry