RE: [CBQ] Re: Q Physical Plant in PRB, was BN GP 20s

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: Q Physical Plant in PRB, was BN GP 20s
From: GLEN HAUG <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 13:22:52 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1326057798; bh=sKZm6v2GfHyTAq0lm0yS+p/JHakgQky7vmHBnn6s2p4=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=G/HMFt6huXY3N2I5Qd5wbfKDE6mWifrwGhI7rfPJ/pu9i5TuvVjLqVg3T6f7VbMxLggHGgsLVZlMz8dOPiYJfS/guPCTUDR0GGVr8rh9IuB0QvHOrNMVlbNDei0xIWDu
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

John:

In my opinion, and I would hope that of others, this is simply not true.  Although there was a fair amount of traffic between Lincoln and Alliance, the portion of the Q beyond Alliance on both the Sheridan and Casper lines was basically a branchline railroad in terms of traffic.  It was maintained in very good condition for the amount of traffic it handled.  True, it was all bolted rail on partially fractured rock ballast, with virtually no rail above 112 lb., with some 90 lb. rail on the Sheridan line and a lot of 90 lb. on the Casper line.  This does not mean that the physical plant and level of maintenance was not consistent with 100 ton cars.  Until the very late 60's, the percentage of 100 ton car traffic was not high enough to justify the additional expense of heavier, welded rail and fully crushed ballast.  And the Q kept the speed low on the 90 lb. rail, particularly with 2nd generation 6 axle power.  It was the coal trains that began to tear the railroad up, and this happened virtually overnight on the 90 lb sidings, not necessarily because of rail weight, but inadequate anchorage.

Railroads in the 1960's were not generating enough revenue to make expenditures in anticipation of future traffic.  I think GN/NP executives knew exactly what they were doing, and I would be surprised if they would have agreed to premature large expenditures to handle future heavier loads, particularly in lieu of dividends.  And I bet the Q executives were smart enough not to ask for money that they knew could not be justified.

Glen Haug