RE: [CBQ] BRHS Vitality (Action Item)

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [CBQ] BRHS Vitality (Action Item)
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 10:25:56 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1240673091; bh=GDgudre+UpPFZpgEFFXC2SArwSFztzGvwFwYL4s9iGk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Mailer:To:In-Reply-To:References:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=IXzLRpXZ/WUB983+RWOu+BQGpmI7F0kYCn1MWytkD8xEwuUP4o57Gw8KGvSUe/VpA2fSeHCd8A3dO9+eBGIfd6kOuTdvcGevuU8Cqjo6oy+o2WHUqyl7tWKhe4QvoNuI
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Sorry Gerald, but that would be a real issue.  The GNHS does not sell
their publications to non-members - including those of obviously
interested societies (like the BRHS).  They don't sell them through
hobby shops either (unless this has all changed).  Which means, your
concept of a true joint meeting and actually sharing information that
would be of interest to all parties is somewhat problematical (as I'm
sure the concept would also apply to other areas of information
exchange). .  Unless they change their minds, or make a one time
modification.

At 10:10 AM 4/25/2009, you wrote:

>There have only been TWO true joint meets - with RITS (Rock Island)
>in Texas some yrs ago and with IC in Dbq 3 yrs ago.  The other
>so-called joints have been us holding an normal meet & inviting
>another group to join in - typically they have a table or two and
>there is little difference between a pure BRHS meet & the 'joint'
>with NYC or AT&SF.  A true joint meet is where ea group is holding
>their annual meet with all the bells & whistles with full range of
>clinics, lots more swap tables, etc.  The obvious 'joint' would be
>us with GN & NP; having all 3 Hill roads would attract a LOT of
>railfans/modelers who are interested in 1 or more of the 3 but not
>to the extent of having mbrship - we potentially could have 3 times
>as many attendees, swap tables, clinics, etc with a LOT of
>cross-over (Burl. Escorted Tours was a joining of the 3; joinly
>marked brochures, train ops (Empire Buioder, No. Coast Ltd), heavy
>use of ea RR for the other's frt car to/from Pac NW & CHicago,
>etc.  Most Q fans have some GN/NP interest & vice-a-versa due to the
>joint ownership for 7 decades, shared passenger trains, shared
>frt/pass offices in off-line cities (New York, Atlanta, L.A., etc)
>and of course the founding of BN.  Can you imagine what a joint Hill
>Roads annual meeting could be like?  Each Society could have their
>own annual meeting, 'company styore' etc but share a large swap
>meet, access to ea other's clinics (modeling, collectibles,
>operations, etc) and have SO much more to buy, sell, swap and learn
>about.  I truly believe most mbrs of the 3 socieites would like to
>do this at least once a decade.  We never have in the 35 plus yrs
>the 3 RR's have had His. Soc's - a shame!
>

>Gerald

Bob Webber