RE: [PCL] Re: [CBQ] Texas Zephyr Equipment in South Dakota

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [PCL] Re: [CBQ] Texas Zephyr Equipment in South Dakota
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:40:48 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The real challenge is simple transportation.  BN might have been talked into
providing assistance PRIOR to abandonment of the Deadwood branch but now you
are talking about expensive trucking out of the Black Hills to the nearest rail
head (Edgemont or Rapid City).  As Bob says, there is a reason they continue to
sit in Hill City (just as the MTZ did in Mt. Pleasant til recently)  Gerald

To: PassengerCarList@yahoogroups.com; CBQ@yahoogroups.comFrom:
rgz17@comcast.netDate: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:38:09 -0500Subject: Re: [PCL] Re:
[CBQ] Texas Zephyr Equipment in South Dakota

That's true only if the MTZ plans don't become complete - the newspaper article
included "trips around St. Louis" as part of the plan (as well as the
display).But, the reason I say St. Louis - and display as opposed to IRM and
"running" is simple economics. Does anyone have $200K they don't need? Last I
looked the owner thought each car was worth about $20K. Each car would require
about $15K to transport. Each car then would have to have minimal repair JUST
for display. Forget about running. If you want running, add another $500K to
that. Look at how much $$$ and how much time has been spent on the NZ getting
it repaired after the switch accident. And these cars are not in the best of
shape.Save from scrapping - about $200K. Running ? About $700K. So start the
fund, I'll pitch in. Heck if Obama can net $55M and Clinton $35M and McCain ??
then surely we can get a choo choo elected. I mean, according to the election
rules, and statements, so much of that is coming from "the little people" -
well, I reckon that's what we got here. Although I'm afraid the affiliations
are far more fractious.... So $1M ought to be doable, right? right? yeah,
that's why their still up in the Black Hills.At 10:44 AM 3/10/2008, Charlie Vlk
wrote:>Bob->They could be displayed anywhere..... St. Louis with the Silver
>Charger is another place to stuff and mount them.... but IRM is the >only
place they could>be run with a trainset....>Charlie Vlk>> They could also be
associated with the MTZ cars if they DO get> restored near St. Louis - and if
the MTZ cars DO get restored, then> the process would be in place and the
capability there for these cars> to be restored at the same time.>> Bob
WebberBob Webber