[CBQ] Re: Texas Zephyr Equipment in South Dakota

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Texas Zephyr Equipment in South Dakota
From: "Rick Briney" <rlbriney@wildblue.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:50:07 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The TZ cars are owned by the Black Hills Central AKA 1880 Train.
They are leftovers from the Bill Heckman ownership, They were
stripped internally on his watch. The current owners of the BHC are
Bob and Joanna Warder. They have done much to improve the BHC
operation, but they are business people not museum operators.

http://www.1880train.com/

The cars are easy to find, Hill City is a small town and the cars
can be seen from highway 385. I have walked through the BHC yard
many times and never been hassled by anybody, just don't do anything
stupid to attract attention to yourself, and don't trespass when the
railroad is closed.

I believe the opening bid price on the ebay auctions were in the
range of $20,000 each. They recieved no bids. The cars would have to
be moved from their current resting place by truck. There is no rail
connection to the outside world and the cars have been derelict so
long they wouldn't be accepted on their own wheels without
substantial work anyway.

If anyone is interested, there is a local mover that specializes is
railcar relocation in the area. He moved my CB&Q NE12A waycar over
650 miles to my home at a very reasonable price. I had talked to him
about these cars while the eBay auction was active and he
was "chomping at the bit" to get a chance to move them. I would be
happy to help any potential buyers get in contact with him.

Rick Briney
Piedmont, SD