[CBQ] Re: [Fwd: [EarlyRail] Capitol City Brick and Pipe Company]

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: [Fwd: [EarlyRail] Capitol City Brick and Pipe Company]
From: "graywolfs2" <graywolfs02@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 17:20:55 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Phil,

I think I would have to disagree with you on it being an "unloader".

Look at the workers in the cars...there are a couple of them that
have shovels in hand.

I do not see any cable running from the "engine" end of the car to
the gons. that would pull a plow.

Look at the truck under the "engine" end of the car. There is a
large sprocket with a large chain running from it up towards the
engine on the near axle.

I believe that this is an early form of MOW motive power...perhaps
developed so as to not need an engine with a full crew.

Greg K.
Minnesota

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Weibler" <pawnbaw@...> wrote:

> Hello, Ray and Ken -
> Looks like a "Lidgerwood" unloader.  The boiler fed a small steam
engine - about like you'd find on a big steam tractor - that powered
a winch drum.  The winch cable would be dragged over the top and
hitched to a ballast plow on the far car.  The Lidgerwood would then
pull the plow from car to car pushing the ballast off and onto the
ground.  Sure beat shoveling.  Someplace in the dark recesses of my
basement I have a drawing of the Rock Island's version of this car.
PAW
Company]

>   Ken,
>
>   Get phot and info. I notice that the open fram car has a link
and pin
>   coupler, so this is a ver eary photo. Any idea what that car
was, how it was
>   used and what was in it other than a boiler? Would make an
interesting model
>   project - or did you already build it?
>
>   Ray Bedard
>   San Jose CA