Re: [CBQ] [Fwd: [EarlyRail] Capitol City Brick and Pipe Company]

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] [Fwd: [EarlyRail] Capitol City Brick and Pipe Company]
From: "Philip Weibler" <pawnbaw@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:43:36 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hello, Ray and Ken -
Looks like a "Lidgerwood" unloader.  The boiler fed a small steam engine -
about like you'd find on a big steam tractor - that powered a winch drum.  The
winch cable would be dragged over the top and hitched to a ballast plow on the
far car.  The Lidgerwood would then pull the plow from car to car pushing the
ballast off and onto the ground.  Sure beat shoveling.  Someplace in the dark
recesses of my basement I have a drawing of the Rock Island's version of this
car.  PAW