Re: [CBQ] Commercial post - New Q Book

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Commercial post - New Q Book
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 10:35:12 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I purchased the book but it is weakest in CB&Q.  Most of the photos have been
previously published or are similar to ones that we've seen before.  (no action
shots of Suburban Tank Engines, the engine facilities at Riverside, the
Suburban Engine Shed at Western Avenue, etc., etc.
That being said, the coverage of the Wabash, C&EI, Wisconsin Central, Milwaukee
Road and the IC Addision branch make the book worthwhile anyway......
On another subject, I ran across a tremendous research tool while spending some
time at the Library of Congress.... a online service called ProQuest... which
the LOC and many local libraries subscribe to.   My librarian wife informed me
that if I would come into the library once in a while or ask her she could have
told me that we not only have the service at the Arlington Heights Library but
it is available online to AH resident card holders.   The service has digital
full text OCR scans of the historic Chicago Tribune.....
I was able to determine, from accounts of a IC train excursion train that was
rear ended at Lawndale Avenue by a CB&Q express, that the IC's Chicago, Madison
& Northern (the Iowa line) connected to the Q at LaVerne and the IC used the Q
and the St. Charles Air Line to get to their station for a few years, as the IC
was very slow in completing their line into Chicago.
Interesting stuff!!!
Charlie Vlk