Re: [CBQ] Re: yards at galva il

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: yards at galva il
From: William Ewinger <b_ewinger@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 19:07:54 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
the piece of track that ran east of the galesburg  to quad cities line lasted
until the burlington nrthern time
  bill ewinger

Rory Murchison <murchi209@yahoo.com> wrote:
          1952 maybe, not 62. I used to play on the pile of tiles that blocked
the tracks in 62.

Check this link out. Always wondered why it was called the Dolly.

http://www.thehawkeye.com/columns/Hansen/2003/Hansen_0622.html

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, fred starr <frdstarr@...> wrote:

> hi
> I think they stoped using it in 1962 as i recall the last run was
with school kids from galva road it had a pice in the paper about it.
fred

> Rory Murchison <murchi209@...> wrote:
>
> Noel, yes the Q ran somewhat parallel to the RI west of town. This
> line went to New Boston. Its the line the "Dolley", a Q gas
electric,
> would take. Got pics somewhere from a local rag called the
Galvaland.

> The line was abandoned in the 40's sometime. (way befor my time!
born
> in 52)
>
> But the track ran behind the area of Galva you lived in just to get
> to Lilly Tulip. It was just long enough for the SD7 and a 50' box.
> There were a whole mess of ties and scrap metal from Hank
McMillians
> crap yard on the track further west in the 60's.
>
> My best friend Mike lived right across from the foundry. When the
RI
> trains would come into town from Silvis, they would stop at the
West
> edge of town and phone the Q tower to get clearance to cross the
> diamond. My buddy Mike and I would sometimes walk down the track
and
> ride the caboose back to his house. Train would be going at a
pretty
> good clip when we got there! (I know, I know. Dangerous! Kids don't
> do this! We were dumb, invicible kids at the time!)
>
> Ahhhh yes, the old-old-daze!
>
> Rory
>
> --- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Noel Raley <bnrifan@> wrote:
> >

> > Rory,
> >
> > My dad and grandma used to work at Lilly Tulip, and my dad got
pics
> > of the whole place before they tore it down. Maybe he has some
> > pictures of the track you are talking about. I was going on the
> > memory of a 12 year old, as I was born in '69 in Kewanee, but my
> > family and I have always lived in Galva.
> >
> > I did not know the CBQ switched the foundry and did not know that
> was
> > coke, not coal. Makes sense, because you are correct. What came
> out
> > of the bottom of those cars, went into the elevated dumper that
> went
> > up to the blast furnace. I had three uncles that worked at the
> > foundry, and when we would go visit to drop something off to them
> > (like their lunch or just to talk to them briefly) I would watch
> the
> > elevated dumper work.
> >
> > When the ROCK would come into town from Bishop Hill, I would run
> from
> > my grandma's house (about 12 houses west from the foundry), and
> watch
> > the ROCK do their thing in town. I remember fondly the growl of
> the
> > geep diesels as they idled and their bells a dinging, as they
> blocked
> > US34 traffic while switching the foundry.
> >
> > Ahhh the good 'ole days.
> >

> > -Noel
> >
> > PS According to Bill Selleck, there was also a CBQ line next to
> the
> > ROCK line that crossed over US34 at w. division street. I do not
> > ever remember Burlington locomotives in that area of Galva, but
> then
> > they could have been, before I was born.
> >

> > At 06:28 PM 3/4/2007, you wrote:
> >
> > >The foundry was switched by both the Q and the RI. As I recall,
> the Q
> > >would setout boxcars full of casting sand. The rock would setout
> > >coke, not coal, for the blast furnace. (or maybe the other way
> around)
> > >
> > >The Q would also setout 50' boxcars at Lilly Tulip cup co, which
> was
> > >right next to the foundry. Had a heck of a curve and they used
> SD7's.
> > >Would squeel like mad as the flanges hit the rail!

> [...]
THE