[CBQ] Re: yards at galva il

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: yards at galva il
From: "Rory Murchison" <murchi209@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 00:28:10 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The foundry was switched by both the Q and the RI. As I recall, the Q
would setout boxcars full of casting sand. The rock would setout
coke, not coal, for the blast furnace. (or maybe the other way around)

The Q would also setout 50' boxcars at Lilly Tulip cup co, which was
right next to the foundry. Had a heck of a curve and they used SD7's.
Would squeel like mad as the flanges hit the rail!

           Rory
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Noel Raley <bnrifan@...> wrote:

> Rick,
>
> Are you referring to the ROCK or BN?
>
> What side of US 34 are you referring to?  There was a ROCK track on
> the SE side of US 34 that went through town, crossed over the CBQ
> mainline, snaked through where those huge Gateway COOP storage
silos
> are, and came out by the foundry, crossed US 34 and then finally
went
> around the backs of most of the houses on west division street to
> Bishop Hill viaduct.  The roadbed is still quite visible through
> town, even behind west division and across US34 near where the
> foundry used to be.
>
> Btw, did the ROCK switch the foundry?  I remember black coal cars
> sitting there (a few of them) some with the white and blue THE ROCK
on them.

> I lived in Galva all my life up till 2000, when I moved to Kewanee,
> then Southern, IL where I am at right now.
>

> -Noel
>
> PS  Sorry for OT post about ROCK on CBQ group.

Transfer from your equities account.
Receive up to $1,000 from GFT. Click here to learn more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aZttyC/X_xQAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM