[CBQ] Re: yards at galva il

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: yards at galva il
From: "Rory Murchison" <murchi209@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 15:35:31 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Noel, yes the Q ran somewhat parallel to the RI west of town. This
line went to New Boston. Its the line the "Dolley", a Q gas electric,
would take. Got pics somewhere from a local rag called the Galvaland.

The line was abandoned in the 40's sometime. (way befor my time! born
in 52)

But the track ran behind the area of Galva you lived in just to get
to Lilly Tulip. It was just long enough for the SD7 and a 50' box.
There were a whole mess of ties and scrap metal from Hank McMillians
crap yard on the track further west in the 60's.

My best friend Mike lived right across from the foundry. When the RI
trains would come into town from Silvis, they would stop at the West
edge of town and phone the Q tower to get clearance to cross the
diamond. My buddy Mike and I would sometimes walk down the track and
ride the caboose back to his house. Train would be going at a pretty
good clip when we got there! (I know, I know. Dangerous! Kids don't
do this! We were dumb, invicible kids at the time!)

Ahhhh yes, the old-old-daze!

      Rory

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Noel Raley <bnrifan@...> wrote:

> Rory,
>
> My dad and grandma used to work at Lilly Tulip, and my dad got pics
> of the whole place before they tore it down.  Maybe he has some
> pictures of the track you are talking about.  I was going on the
> memory of a 12 year old, as I was born in '69 in Kewanee, but my
> family and I have always lived in Galva.
>
> I did not know the CBQ switched the foundry and did not know that
was
> coke, not coal.  Makes sense, because you are correct.  What came
out
> of the bottom of those cars, went into the elevated dumper that
went
> up to the blast furnace.  I had three uncles that worked at the
> foundry, and when we would go visit to drop something off to them
> (like their lunch or just to talk to them briefly) I would watch
the
> elevated dumper work.
>
> When the ROCK would come into town from Bishop Hill, I would run
from
> my grandma's house (about 12 houses west from the foundry), and
watch
> the ROCK do their thing in town.  I remember fondly the growl of
the
> geep diesels as they idled and their bells a dinging, as they
blocked
> US34 traffic while switching the foundry.
>
> Ahhh the good 'ole days.
>

> -Noel
>
> PS  According to Bill Selleck, there was also a CBQ line next to
the
> ROCK line that crossed over US34 at w. division street.  I do not
> ever remember Burlington locomotives in that area of Galva, but
then
> they could have been, before I was born.
>

> At 06:28 PM 3/4/2007, you wrote:
>
> >The foundry was switched by both the Q and the RI. As I recall,
the Q
> >would setout boxcars full of casting sand. The rock would setout
> >coke, not coal, for the blast furnace. (or maybe the other way
around)

> >The Q would also setout 50' boxcars at Lilly Tulip cup co, which
was
> >right next to the foundry. Had a heck of a curve and they used
SD7's.
> >Would squeel like mad as the flanges hit the rail!
> >
> >Rory
> >--- In <mailto:CBQ%40yahoogroups.com>CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Noel
Raley
> ><bnrifan@> wrote:
> > >

> > > Rick,
> > >
> > > Are you referring to the ROCK or BN?
> > >
> > > What side of US 34 are you referring to? There was a ROCK track
on
> > > the SE side of US 34 that went through town, crossed over the
CBQ
> > > mainline, snaked through where those huge Gateway COOP storage
> >silos
> > > are, and came out by the foundry, crossed US 34 and then finally
> >went
> > > around the backs of most of the houses on west division street
> > > Bishop Hill viaduct. The roadbed is still quite visible through
> > > town, even behind west division and across US34 near where the
> > > foundry used to be.
> > >
> > > Btw, did the ROCK switch the foundry? I remember black coal cars
> > > sitting there (a few of them) some with the white and blue THE
ROCK
> >on them.
> > >
> > > I lived in Galva all my life up till 2000, when I moved to
Kewanee,
> > > then Southern, IL where I am at right now.
> > >

> > > -Noel
> > >
> > > PS Sorry for OT post about ROCK on CBQ group.

Transfer from your equities account.
Receive up to $1,000 from GFT. Click here to learn more.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aZttyC/X_xQAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM